Thursday, August 14, 2008

Soy cheese sucks




I love cheese! But I love Carter more, so I am not eating any cow's milk products while I'm breastfeeding since this seems to be a source of his irritability and poop issues (see previous poop post). Poor little guy! And I must say, poor me ,too.

It is tough...the sweet joy I got from eating whatever I wanted is gone. I have not yet found a way to replace it, to be honest. So I was really excited when a friend told me about almond milk and soy milk products.

I have been using soy milk on my cereal for a few years, but I had no idea the wide array of non-dairy dairy products that are made from alternative milks. "How cool!" I thought as I strolled the aisles of Whole Foods a few weeks ago. I couldn't wait to get home and start nibbling on some yummy jalapeno almond milk cheese and soy ice cream.

So the good news is that Carter is doing much better since I stopped eating dairy. Here's the bad news...both the soy cheese and the almond milk cheese are horrible. Just disgusting. The texture, the flavor, the melt-ability...it's not like real cheese AT ALL! The soy ice cream was not bad, but the Rice Dream non-dairy frozen dessert was no treat. People rave about that Rice Dream and it is no good, I tell you!

I think the source of my disappointment is that I am expecting these products to be as good as the real thing. My neighbor is a vegetarian. NOT a vegan, because she loves cheese to much. Believe me, I understand her not wanting to give up cheese. She says after a while of not eating the real thing, you start to think that the substitute tastes exactly like the real thing. I find that hard to believe I'll let you know in a few months.


PS - The yogurt made with coconut milk is awesome! You have to try it...it's called So Delicious...and it actually lives up to it's name.

No comments: